To enable selected applicants to undertake a PhD at one of the 10 Swiss cantonal universities, the two Swiss federal institutes of technology or the Graduate Institute.
The scholarship is only valid for full-time PhD studies in Switzerland. It is not valid for mixed PhD programmes (part time in Switzerland and part time in another country).
“Cotutelle de these”: PhD students with an ongoing or planned doctoral project that is carried out within the framework of a formalized agreement between two universities (“cotutelle de thèse” cooperation between a Swiss and a foreign university) and under the joint direction of two supervisors are eligible for a 12 month research fellowship only.
3 years maximum (starting in September)
- Master’s degree or equivalent university degree recognised by the Swiss university. The applicant must have achieved this degree before the start of the scholarship next September. As a proof, the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for Scholarships before the start of the scholarship.
- Applicant’s date of birth after 31 December 1983.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the PhD thesis. Without such support, the application will be rejected.
- Applicants for doctoral schools (doctoral programmes) *): in addition to all other application documents (including the support letter from a supervisor), the admission letter from the doctoral school is required with the application dossier.
- As this takes time applicants must plan accordingly and submit their application for admission to the doctoral school sufficiently in advance of the scholarship programme deadline.